Subheading



Monday 7 January 2013

What does the universe taste like? -Day 7 - ten minute writing challenge.

What does the universe taste like?

Have you every had popping candy? I hate the word 'candy', but have you? It's little bits of sweet dust that you got, when young, from your local newsagent or sweetie shop, in a slim and shiny navy packet. It had a carton with a wide-mouthed child on it which only slightly made me turn my nose up at it, then. See, even as a child I had my own view of aesthetics.

I found the packet itself quite sophisticated as you had to rip the top open and silver paper shone through from beneath the wound. You'd make the packet gape and tip some of the contents into your mouth. Or, sometimes, you might slip your tongue in and let its tip touch the grains of pink rubble inside.

The anticipation was the best thing. That's something that hasn't change over time: the expectation. Waiting for the explosion in your mouth. It wasn't a long wait even in a child's sense. It would be a breath of time only and then the tiniest explosions would start. It was always gentle - depending, of course, on how much you imbibed. You might get a furious eruption in your mouth if you tipped too much in or were all for the excitement of the thing. You might even get the shock pop of a mine going off between two recently clenched teeth. Those kinds of blasts were my favourite because they were unexpected. The only kind of surprises I've ever liked, really.

So, for me, the universe tastes of popping candy, in a blue foil packet, containing all kinds of furious excitement and fun.


Time up.

Another task from the tumblr site - writer's inspiration.
The task was simply the title of this post.
i found it a little bit more manageable this time. I'll try them again, sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really welcome constructive comments or perhaps even some inspiration. To be honest , I would settle for some encouragement.