Subheading



Thursday 17 January 2013

Static travel.

There was a piece of music that I recall was called 'travelling without moving', I can't remember who by. I don't often connect with lyrics, really, my mind is taken up with a melody. But it was when you see something, an image in this case, that reminds you of a lyric or title or quote and then you start to reflect on its possibilities.

At first I thought about how, when you are a passenger in a car, you are sitting in the seat of the car and no actually moving yourself but the car is moving you. My mind dwelt for a time on the loss of control and freedom that this could suggest or conversely that it could mean that you have great faith or trust in your pilot or indeed in the conveyance itself. But I didn't dwell on this for long.

It came to me that the most important idea about travelling without moving is the idea or possibly the 'fashion' of going travelling. These days a person's education isn't deemed complete unless they have 'travelled'. I was struck by the idea that travel is supposed to enlighten, to widen the mind and create a greater bond between people and cultures. Often, is has very little effect except to reinforce the self-importance or smugness of the person who considers themselves well travelled and therefore enlightened. They fool only themselves and others like them. They have travelled but not moved.

Time up.
Inspiration: I was really struggling tonight. I'm tired and so went back to the tumblr blog, writer's inspiration and the prompt for today is the following picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really welcome constructive comments or perhaps even some inspiration. To be honest , I would settle for some encouragement.