Subheading



Monday 4 February 2013

Adrift

She forced her numb fingers to grip the exposed side of the upturned hull, the only part of the boat still visible above the water. The pain in her leg had started to numb and she took a moment to look at the shapes of the children huddled in front of her in the dark. She could see the distant lights of their rescuers advancing but there was still the doubt: how quickly would they arrive? The sea was ice and the pain of it tore at her throat but she wrenched words out of it, nevertheless.
"Laurie. Laurie, are you awake? Esther? Henry?"
"Yes. Will they be here soon?"
"I'm freezing."
"Will they find mum first and bring her or will they come for us and get her after?"
"I'm so cold. Will they come soon?"
Came the all too plaintive replies. The whispers of shock still hindering their tongues.
"They'll be here sooner than you think. You can see their lights, look. Keep focused on the lights and watch for them. Don't go to sleep. Laurie, promise me you won't go to sleep. You have to stay awake and keep the others awake. Do you understand how important it is?"
"I won't go to sleep, Martha. I've got watch out for mum in case the rescuers don't see her. I wish I knew where she was to tell them."

Her hands had gone numb long since and she felt the weight of her life oozing away. Thoughts of what she might have been, memories of looks exchanged, the risks she hadn't taken, the time that she had wasted out of the embrace of those she loved, they kissed her thoughts as she forced her mind to focus on the children. They must not sense the fear that clawed at her eyes and lips.

Her mother's warm touch was on her for the briefest moment but she forced herself back from the warmth of her dream into the night of pitch and the unforgiving sea.

"Laurie? If I fall asleep promise me you will stay...stay were you are. Keep watch. Keep everyone watching...for the men. Laurie?" The words pounded inside her head, her jaw tighter than iron. She could see nothing at all now and knew she must have gone blind.
"You said we shouldn't go to sleep Martha. Why would you?"
"My eyes might close. Promise. Promise. Laurie, promise."

...................................................................................................................................................

Time was up ages ago.
Inspiration: I was out on a walk and thought what it would be like to die at sea. Not a pleasant thought. The time constraint hindered the possible creativity with words tonight, even though I went ten minutes over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really welcome constructive comments or perhaps even some inspiration. To be honest , I would settle for some encouragement.